Hey there! I’m Tara; join me for a cup of tea. I want to create a cozy corner to spark conversation and community as well as share ideas and inspiration.
In 2016 I graduated a from Hope College (a small Christian liberal arts school) with a Bachelors of Arts in psychology and Spanish. I am currently living in the town where I went to school for my second gap year, more on that another day.
In college I kept a personal blog in which I talked about things I was learning or my experiences abroad, but I was never very serious about it. Lately, I have been toying with the idea of starting a lifestyle blog to connect with other 20 somethings and make my mark on the world.
I started writing down ideas and I realized that not only is it doable, I
have so much I want to share with y’all! I plan to write about everything from decorating and style, to recipes and DIYs, and all the things in between. In honor of finally starting this blog, here are 7 reasons why you should start a blog immediately! (Let me know if you do!!)
- You have a voice that should be heard. This is more important now than ever before. I tend to be a very optimistic person so I try to make a positive impact on the people I meet. In this day, people are quick to speak over others without hearing what they are saying. In blogging, your words are there for others to read and process and hopefully lead to thoughtful discussions and problem solving.
- Blogging creates community. There are so many bloggers out there with blogs dedicated to everything under the sun. I’ve read so much about #communityovercompetition and I love the message behind this. As bloggers, we are in this together. We can help each other and promote each other, cultivate kindness and spread love. Speaking of which, you should definitely check out Erica and Helene, two of my favorite bloggers who have inspired me to finally launch mine!
- Blogs can be monetized. It’s important obviously to go into blogging with the intention of sharing or creating something, but the fact that many bloggers I follow have turned their hobby into a career is way cool! Check out these awesome inspirational ladies to read more on that!
- As I was hinting with reason three, it’s not just about the money. Blogging is such a cool hobby. There is something really special about sharing bits of your world with others through a blogging platform in a way that is different than social media like Twitter or Facebook.
- When you’re a blogger, you get to consume and create. You get to meet other inspiring people from around the world that might be just like you, or living out the things from your wildest dreams. You’ll want to read other blogs just as much as you want to create your own.
- Can we talk about the actual work? It is so fun! You have the freedom to choose where you work and brainstorm. Pajamas on the couch? Sounds great! Sipping on coffee (or tea 😉) at a cafe? Sign me up!! At your desk with a glass of wine? I am in! And not only can the work environment be whatever you want it to be, the work is truly what you make it. Brainstorming ideas can be anything that comes to mind. We all have so many ideas floating around our brains and that’s why I love the concept of lifestyle blogging. It’s still work, but it’s always an adventure.
- My final reason, and perhaps the most inspiring, is the accomplishment of clicking publish. There really is no greater feeling than the satisfaction of knowing you created something to the best of your ability and now others can read it. I experienced this with my college blog that I used mostly with family and friends. I can only imagine how it will feel when I click publish on this!
I’d love to hear your thoughts! Why did you start a blog, or what’s stopping you?
PS. If you want some weekly inspiration in your inbox, subscribe to my newsletter, Steeped Tara. If you sign up now, I’ll send you my collection of nature photos with inspirational quotes!
PPS. Stay tuned for my first series, 5 Weeks of Pumpkin Spice.