Do you ever feel like you’re reliving the same day over and over and over and over? Welcome to Groundhog Day. Although there’s something to be said about redoing something until it’s perfect, more often than not, the idea of reliving the same thing is a nightmare. Anxiety causes us to replay things that didn’t go 100% right. Repetitive, tedious days can feel like an inescapable trap.
So how can we get out of the “Groundhog Days” of life? Today for Healthy Living Friday, we’re talking about mental health. Without further ado, here are 8 ways to help manage stress and anxiety.
1. Center your day around Jesus and prayer. The Bible reminds us, “do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ” (Philippians 4:6-7).
2. Making lists is very therapeutic. I make lists for everything.
It can be to just keep track of what you need to do for the day or week. It can be a list of books to read or movies to see. It could even be a list of gratitude to help keep focused on the positives.
3. Treat yourself to a bath! Watching a bath bomb and soaking up the warmth in the tub is very soothing.
4. Light a candle or diffuse someessential oils!
They just make everything cozier and the right smell can bring a sense of calm over the whole room.
5. Curl up in a cozy outfit and watch something funny (like Friends) or read a good book.
It’s a great way to just escape for a while and live in the world of the book or show.
6. Find a way to express yourself artistically. This could be coloring, drawing, or taking pictures. I’ve like to crochet or make some DIY projects. I think the important part of it is just having something productive to occupy your hands and mind for a little while.
7. Have a cup of tea! Peppermint can be really helpful if your anxiety goes to your stomach like mine does.
8. Perhaps the best way to combat stress is to pamper yourself. Get your hair done. Paint your nails. Put on some happy music and dance like no one’s watching! Just let loose and have some fun.